by George S. Burkhardt
Winston Churchill once famously described the American Civil War as “the last war fought between gentlemen.” The facts were otherwise.
The Battle of Tom’s Brook…..30
by Eric J. Wittenberg
“That’s General Custer, the Yanks are so proud of, and I intend to give him the best whipping today that he ever got,” said Tom Rosser on the eve of battle. But things didn’t work out quite that way.
East Meets West…..48
by Mark H. Dunkelman
When the men of the XI and XII Corps of the Army of the Potomac were transferred west, they were quickly made to realize that they had joined a different kind of army.
Citizen Soldier: John Beatty and His Brigade at Chickamauga…..58
by Dave Powell
Prior to the Civil War, John Beatty was a banker. Yet like many others, North and South, he swiftly demonstrated a capacity for war.
The Civil War Draft Riots…..72
by Barnet Schecter
The U.S. government’s first direct conscription of men into the army was the spark that lit a long smoldering racial conflagration.
The cover this month is by Dale Gallon and titled “Meade’s Headquarters, Gettysburg, Pennsylvania, July 2, 1863”.
by Albert A. Nofi
A Civil War Digest.
Do You Know?…..29
Civil War Trivia.
Civil War Round Tables…..46
A listing of Civil War Round Tables.
Civil War Society…..70
Upcoming events of the Civil War Society.
Horse Soldier Banjo.
1. The Business of Civil War: Military Mobilization and the State, 1861-1865 by Mark R. Wilson
2. McClellan’s War: The Failure of Moderation in the Struggle for Union by Ethan S. Rafuse
4. Lost Triumph: Lee’s Real Plan at Gettysburg-and Why it Failed by Tom Carhart
5. The Crucible of the Civil War: Virginia from Secession to Commemoration edited by Edward L. Ayers, Gary W. Gallagher, and Andrew J. Torget
6. Patriotic Treason: John Brown and the Soul of America by Evan Carton
7. First Lady of the Confederacy: Varina Davis’ Civil War by Joan E. Cashin
8. Two Confederate Hospitals and Their Patients by Jack D. Welsh
9. Abraham Lincoln: The Observations of John G. Nicolay and John Hay edited by Michael Burlingame
10. The Southern Journey of a Civil War Marine: The Illustrated Note-Book of Henry O. Gusley edited by Edward T. Cotham, Jr.