Shiloh’s False Hero…..28
by Timothy B. Smith
There’s a vast difference between what Union General Benjamin Prentiss actually did in April 1862 and what the history books claim he did.
Plus: A detailed map of Shiloh and the notorious “Hornets’ Nest”.
Incognito in Baltimore…..36
by Harold Holzer
To get to D.C., President-elect Lincoln had to don a disguise and go by the code name ‘Nuts’.
‘General Wheat, Is That You?’…..42
by Michael P. Musick
Is a newly discovered ambrotype really the legendary Rebel General Chatham R. Wheat?
Dark Days in the Southland…..46
by Stephen Budiansky
A vivid portrait of the defeated South, penned by a Yankee reporter just after the war ended.
‘The Monitor Is No More’…..54
by Walter Bonora
The famous ironclad’s untimely end off Cape Hatteras made for high drama on the stormy seas.
Civil War Today…..16
Edited by Linda Wheeler
New Midwest museum; pollution vs. battlefields; Witness Tree takes a hit.
Hidden treasures on the north side of Antietam battlefield.
by Dana B. Shoaf
Harold Holzer pulls Abraham Lincoln out of a hat.
Letter From Civil War Times…..27
1. The Dark Intrigue: The True Story of a Civil War Conspiracy by Frank Van Der Linden
3. Decision in the Heartland-The Civil War in the West by Steven E. Woodworth
5. Awaiting the Heavenly Country-The Civil War and America’s Culture of Death by Mark S. Schantz
6. George Stoneman: A Biography of the Union General by Ben Fuller Fordney
7. Andersonville (DVD) directed by John Frankenheimer
1. Battle-Pieces and Aspects of the War by Herman Melville
Hiking Antietam’s trails, exploring the Interpretive Center at Corinth and more.
Rank & File…..74
Union tars-ready to rumble.