Killers in Green Coats…..26
by R.L. Murray
Many Rebels “bit the dust” when Colonel Hiram Berdan’s marksmen took their deadly skills into the field during the 1862 Peninsula Campaign.
Plus: Sharpshooter Gear…..34
United States Sharp Shooter artifacts and weapons.
Harvesting the Dead…..36
by Drew Gilpin Faust
Unprecedented campaigns-both public and private-were launched to locate, identify and reinter dead soldiers in the war’s aftermath.
Lincoln at Gettysburg?…..44
by Bob Zeller
An enhanced view of one of Alexander Gardner’s Gettysburg Address images raises new questions.
Look Away Dixie Land…..46
by Michael C. Hardy
The South’s unofficial anthem has gained an enduring role in America’s consciousness. Who wrote it?
‘Only Take the Top Rail’…..52
by Earl McElfresh
Thousands of miles of fences went up in campfire smoke or were destroyed during battle, contributing to the devastation of the South’s rural economy.
Semmes, Stonewall, Shiloh and Smalls.
Civil War Today…..13
Edited by Linda Wheeler
A brave Confederate’s resting place; how to make a death mask; will you need a gas mask to visit Monocacy?
by Peter S. Carmichael
Matt Gallman talks about fearless Anna Elizabeth Dixon, crusader for and critic of the Republican Party.
by Chris Howland
Shiloh-A place of battle and beauty.
Letter From Civil War Times…..25
A Place for Reflection.
1. The Bloody Shirt: Terror After Appomattox by Stephen Budiansky
2. Lincoln Legends: Myths, Hoaxes, and Confabulations Associated With Our Greatest President by Edward Steers
3. History Teaches Us to Hope: Reflections on the Civil War and Southern History by Charles P. Roland, edited by John David Smith
4. Confederate Sailors, Marines and Signalmen from Virginia and Maryland by Robert J. Driver Jr.
5. The Horrid Pit: The Battle of the Crater, the Civil War’s Cruelest Mission by Alan Axelrod
6. Blood, Tears, and Glory: How Ohioans Won the Civil War by James Bissland
1. The Stonewall Brigade by James I. Robertson Jr.
Find out more about this issue’s battles, topics and personalities.
An overburdened Rebel recruit.
Leave a Reply