Six Weeks in the Saddle…..26
by J. David Petruzzi
Union Brigadier General John Buford’s troopers kept their carbines warm harassing Robert E. Lee’s army during the 1863 Gettysburg campaign.
Bonus: John Buford at Gettysburg: A Study in Maps…..33
Rebel Wings Over Gettysburg?…..38
by Mark K. Ragan
Could a steam-powered airplane have won the war for the South? Well, probably not, but it was one intriguing contraption.
‘New’ Photos of Lincoln’s Second Inaugural…..40
Three previously mislabeled Library of Congress images actually document the crowds gathered for Abraham Lincoln’s second inauguration.
Out to Shoot Some ‘Damned Rebels’…..46
by Tom Huntington
Eccentric John Burns, nearly 70, slapped on his silk top hat, grabbed his musket and went out to fight with the Iron Brigade.
Unsupported and Outsmarted…..50
by Steven E. Woodworth
A general of Northern birth whose wife persuaded him to fight for the South found himself in command of the important fortress city of Vicksburg. Not smart, Jeff Davis.
Three civilian women wrote about constant shelling, constant hunger and the day-to-day struggle to survive in caves during the siege of Vicksburg.
Civil War News and History
In the Halls of Congress…..20
Southern politician Henry S. Foote excelled at bipartisan irritation.
On the Block…..23
Civil War Memorabilia Sold at Auction
Comparing Gettysburg’s road network to a spider web.
1. Grant and Lee: Victorious American and Vanquished Virginian by Edward Bonekemper III
2. Encyclopedia of Civil War Shipwrecks by W. Craig Gaines
3. Civil War Carbines… Myth vs. Reality by Peter Schiffers
4. Roll Call to Destiny: The Soldier’s Eye View of Civil War Battle by Brent Nosworthy
5. Go If You Think It Your Duty edited by Andrea R. Forough
6. The Operational Battlefield: America’s Civil War 1861-1863 by Brian Holden Reid
7. General Lee’s Army: From Victory to Collapse by Joseph T. Glatthaar
1. Battlefield Wanderings: http://www.shilohnick.com
Civil War on the Silver Screen
1. Catching the President’s Killer: The Hunt for John Wilkes Booth by A&E Home Video
A Union Schenkl shell makes for an interesting accent to a pine-log coffee table.
Leave a Reply