I am pleased to announce a new Civil War computer game I played a major role in creating, War3d II: Gettysburg! The game is a real time tactical simulator dedicated to the Battle of Gettysburg. I was in charge of creating the Order of Battles for each of the three days, which is worthy of several blog posts on its own. I also hope to post the bibliogrpahy I used to create the game. You will see a LOT more from me on this game as it nears release late in 2009. For now, I’ll leave you with a screenshot and a late December press release.
29 DECEMBER 2008 – The Development Team at NorbSoftDev is proud to announce their upcoming Civil War title, War3DII: Gettysburg.
In production for over 2 years, the team is finally able to state with confidence that the game will ship in 2009.
W3DGB is the next generation of Civil War combat command simulations. Taking lessons learned from their last ground breaking Civil War engine, the Team at NSD has gone beyond themselves to fill in the final features to make this the premier 19th Century Combat Simulation. Not only will the player be able to test themselves against the award winning AI, online play will now make this one of the best strategic and tactical internet game challenges to date. The list of features includes:
- Multiplayer online combat in several modes, including:
- Standard opposite sides.
- Cooperative play versus the AI.
- Play embedded within historical battle scenarios.
- Real time combat command of a brigade, division, or corps in the most intense battle of the Civil War.
- Four highly accurate historical battlefield maps and two general purpose battle maps.
- Extensively researched historical order of battle for each day of the battle.
- Twenty historical or alternate history single player scenarios covering crucial actions on all three days of the battle including:
- The Iron Brigade at McPherson’s Ridge.
- Vincent’s Brigade on Little Round Top.
- The Peach Orchard fight.
- Night battles on Culp’s Hill.
- The Pickett – Pettigrew – Trimble grand attack.
- Random play mode to generate battles of brigade, division, or corps size on any of the included maps.
- Extensive option set to tailor the game experience to the players’ preference and to allow good game performance on a wide range of systems.
- Carefully modeled rifles, carbines, and muskets as well as smoothbore and rifled artillery.
- A full set of infantry and artillery tutorials to get you started.
Take Charge of some of the premier Generals that shaped America. See if your strategy can hand Lee the victory that was pulled from his grasp. Can you as Longstreet take out the Union left flank? Or will you stand as Chamberlain on Little Round Top and order “FIX BAYONETS!” Do you have what it takes to prove that Pickett’s Charge could have resulted in anything besides the mass slaughter of Longstreet’s Corps? Can you do better than history or have all the great Generals passed away with that bygone era?
Find out in 2009 when you and your Army buddies are forced to part ways and face each other across the battlefield at Gettysburg!
Additional information at: http://www.war3d.net.