Complete Online Index of Civil War Times (Illustrated)

by Brett Schulte on February 15, 2010 · 8 comments

I learned this morning via a tweet from Andrew Ferguson that a complete index of Civil War Times, something I had slowly been working on with little progress, is now online!  I’m a little busy today, but I plan to spend some time with this over the next few weeks.   It appears to be an incredible resource for researchers and should save me some serious time when looking for Petersburg Campaign articles for Beyond the Crater: The Petersburg Campaign Online.

***

Check out the Siege of Petersburg Online for daily posts on battle accounts in newspaper articles, diary entries, letters and more!

What are your Top 10 Gettysburg Books? See what a panel of bloggers said recently.

Want to read some interesting Civil War content from amateurs and pros alike? Check out the Top 10 Civil War Blogs and Top 10 Civil War Blogs: 11-20.

{ 8 comments… read them below or add one }

Sarah Winch February 16, 2010 at 7:43 am

Great news for us researchers! Thank you for the tip!

jane July 1, 2010 at 2:29 pm

I have copies of The Civil War Times Illustrated from 1962-1983. Anyone interested in them?

Joe Glidewell June 23, 2012 at 2:38 pm

Jane; I would be very interested in them. Let me know what you are wanting for them etc. My email is slowhand@elberton.net. Look forward hearing from you. Thanks; Joe G.

Carol July 14, 2012 at 8:20 am

Joe,
I have the hardback volumes of The Civil War Times Illustrate, Volumes I-XX.
Make me an offer.

Carol

joe Glidewell July 17, 2012 at 2:28 pm

Carol; Was looking for the individual magazines rather than those in the bound form. Thanks for the information. Joe G.

James M. Gilliss September 12, 2015 at 6:32 pm

I am trying to get a copy of the Isabel Carter’s (Civil) Wartime Journal that was published in the Civil War Times Illustrated prior to 2000. Perhaps also there is an interview with a Virginia news paper from before 1930.
I found reference to the journal in a letter/ critique written by a US Parks historian which is located at the link below.

I believe that the author, Isabel Carter, is my great great aunt, Isabel F. Carter, born in Fauquier County Virginia around 16 Feb.1851.
Any assistance is greatly appreciated.

James M. Gilliss,
grandson of Isabel T. Carter Gilliss who was born in 1876, also in Fauquier County.

Thanks

Pat Rooney August 28, 2017 at 10:20 pm

In 1987-1988 I was published as a high school student in an open letter to the magazine about a reenactment I participated in of the Battle of Cedar Key. I never received a copy of said issue and I want to buy that copy. If anyone has the issue, I don’t know exact month or year, but in 87-88 my name is Pat Rooney, I want it.

Timothy Harr October 2, 2017 at 8:27 pm

I had quite a few copies of CWTI. Wife wanted me to get rid of some unfortunately. I kept some. Had to do the same with America’s Civil War and Civil War Quarterly.Kept a lot of ones with articles I liked. I’d been subscribing to CWTI since the 1980’s or 1990’s. Not sure how far back I have some issues from as we have some things in boxes still haven’t opened when we moved in 2008. Would be interesting to find out. Too bad I couldn’t find some type of album to put them in. I know some people do that.