Brett’s Civil War Book Collection

by Brett Schulte on April 23, 2008 · 7 comments

Jim Miller over at Civil War Notebook has posted his entire Civil War Non-Fiction book collection online. I’ve been in the process of cataloging my own collection lately, except I’ve been using Excel instead of Word. I’ve uploaded the file to the web, but I still have maybe 150 books to go, almost all of which I’ve already read. I’d be interested in seeing the book collections of other Civil War bloggers as well, especially if you already have them cataloged in some easy to upload and view format. Like Jim, I’ll be slowly adding the missing books along with any new ones which come in. Take a look and recommend any you think I should have but don’t.

In addition to the books, I have complete runs of Civil War Times Illustrated (through the bound volumes, however), America’s Civil War, North & South, Blue & Gray, Columbiad, and Civil War Regiments.  I am working on Civil War History from Kent State and Civil War, but these two are more scarce than the others.  If anyone is looking to offload copies of those two magazines, I’d be interested in a purchase or an exchange as I have about 20 duplicate copies of the various magazines I own.

***

Check out the Siege of Petersburg Online for daily posts on battle accounts in newspaper articles, diary entries, letters and more!

What are your Top 10 Gettysburg Books? See what a panel of bloggers said recently.

Want to read some interesting Civil War content from amateurs and pros alike? Check out the Top 10 Civil War Blogs and Top 10 Civil War Blogs: 11-20.

{ 7 comments… read them below or add one }

no. 4, Dec. 1967

Vol. 14, no. 1, March 1968
no. 2, June 1968
no. 3, Sept. 1968
no. 4, Dec. 1968

Vol. 15, no. 1, March 1969

Vol. 33, no. 2, June 1987.

Conditions range from good to fair.

Larry Freiheit

Jim Miller April 25, 2008 at 12:51 pm

Brett, Thanks for the mention. I’m also currently working on cataloging my Civil War fiction library, and would you beleive I have also kept a “Reading Log” since 2001. I will hopefully have both posted soon.

elektratig April 25, 2008 at 6:23 pm

Brett,

Have you seen Librarything.com? I wasn’t energetic or obsessive enough to catalog everything from scratch. Librarything is a great shortcut. I’m not affiliated!

admin April 25, 2008 at 6:27 pm

I have not. I was aware of a lot of book cataloging software out there but never got around to checking this out. I’ll have to do so. Thanks for pointing it out!

Brett

Drew W. April 25, 2008 at 7:18 pm

Brett,
I wasted a whole rainy Saturday a short while back trying out the various free book cataloging software. They all had something that annoyed me enough to not want to use it. IIRC, Librarything, as mentioned by elektratig looked interesting, but is only free for the first 200 books. I am holding off, but I suppose Excel is as good as anything…unless you want to pay. There are some good ones that automatically fill out a good profile just from the ISBN.

Leon Hertzson April 28, 2008 at 5:06 pm

Help please, I just found a set of “The Photographic History of the Civil War” 1911 first edition by Miller and I have all but volume 4. Interior condition is very good but the covers are badly worn. I think that I would like to sell the 9 books and I need some advice as to how to proceed. Thanks for your time and information.

admin April 28, 2008 at 5:13 pm

Leon,

I’d like to help but I’m not really a rare book collector. I’d ask someone like Paul Taylor at With Sword and Pen: http://swordandpen-prt.blogspot.com/

Alternatively, you might contact someone like Broadfoot Publishing as well: http://www.broadfootpublishing.com/SellingCollectionOffer.html

Brett